Friday, November 24, 2006

It must not affect me, It will not affect me, It must not defeat me


The words of Col. Anthony "Bunny" Stearns O.D. (seen second from left). He was introduced to the club by Major Errol Allman a Distinguished Past Governor of the Optimist Club. Major Allman went on to describe the distinguished career of a brilliant pilot and pioneer leaving us awestruck as we listened to his litany of achievements. He kept us in suspense with hints of a "disability" and I am sure I was not alone in wondering what it is about this man that could be considered a disability. Col Stearns gave no hint of anything as he sat and listened to his introduction, laughing intermittently to the various funny anecdotes by Major Allman.

He took his turn at the "podium" (used loosely here) and started to speak about his challenges, the feelings he experienced as he began to lose his sight. He spoke about adjusting his life to meet this challenge, learning new things to help him cope, how he is now capable of "listening to the heart" of those he meets as he is unable to see them and therefore form any judgement. In his own words "when I meet someone I form no opinions".

He stayed for the rest of meeting, laughing and enjoying our antics. We are Sunsetters after all and we must have fun.

I am sure I am not alone when I say - I left that meeting feeling richer for the experience of having heard him speak. A true optimist.

Submitted by Opt Sylvia Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the Optmistic Way of life, to think positive about everything. Mr. Stern demonstrated to us that this is indeed possible. In the face of what most would consider a defeating challenge, he has risen above "laying down in defeat" and is moving on to better things.

He has inspire me to face my challenges with a even more positive and optimistic attitude.

Anonymous said...

It is not very often that you leave a presentation feeling overwhelmed and reflective. We have so much to live for and yet we complain about not having anything. Col. Stearn has shown that regardless of our circumstances, we must live life to the fullest, appreciating everything that is around us, while placing ourselves in a position to rise above situations and defeat the odds.

He is truly OPTIMISM to the MAX